A winter's break in the sub-tropical warmth of the Canary Islands plus a series of concerts by world renowned orchestras and soloists is always a welcome treat come January! 2023 will mark our 14th visit and the 39th Edition of the Canary Islands International Music Festival. 2023 presents a wonderful mix of symphonic & chamber music and a stellar line-up including Jakub Hrusa (just announced as the successor to Tony Papano at Covent Garden); world renowned pianist Daniil Trifanov and opera stars Thomas Hampson and Elīna Garanča. The concert details are shown below.
Earlier this year, we stayed for the first time in THE original 'grand dame' hotel of the Canary Islands, the 5* Hotel Botánico in Puerto de la Cruz. It was a resounding success with our clients and a perfectly relaxing and luxurious base. A member of the Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel has been the 'go to' address in the resort of Puerto de la Cruz for almost 50 years. Set in 25,000 sqm of tropical gardens, the hotel is also home to The Oriental Spa Garden which has received numerous awards including best hotel spa in Europe and the Mediterranean. The hotel has four restaurants and two swimming pools. Our rooms are deluxe category with walk-in shower AND bath.
Stay 10 nights and enjoy a guaranteed upgrade to a Teide View Deluxe room.
If you've only ever been to the sun & golf resorts of the south of Tenerife then you have been missing out on the wonderful scenery, food and authentic experiences of the North of the island. Santa Cruz, the joint capital is a thriving city with a spectacular Santiago Calatrava designed concert hall which opened in 2003. The former capital and seat of the university, San Cristóbal de La Laguna sits high on the island, midway between Santa Cruz and Puerto de la Cruz. Its colonial architecture, the linear layout of its streets - created in the 15th Century without protective outer walls - and recognition as UNESCO World Heritage Site, make it a very interesting place to visit. The primeval laurel forest and huge ferns of the Anaga are a truly astonishing area to visit on the northwest of the island. We spend half a day traversing the spine of the island as we ascend 6,500 ft (by coach!) to the Parador de Las Cañadas del Teide situated within the 10 mile wide caldara of Teide before a delicious late lunch at an old inn situated in the lush Oratava Valley. All of these sights combine with wonderful music to make a very pleasant winter break.
- 21 Bamberg Symphoniker, Jakub Hrusa Conductor; Patricia Kopatchinskaja Violín - Stravinsky Violin Concerto in D; Dvorak Symphony No. 9 New World
- 22 Casals Quartet - Haydn, Schostakovich, Schubert
- 24 Sinfonica De Tenerife Michael Boder Conductor; Pallavi Mahidhara & Mario Marzo Piano - Poulenc - Concerto for two pianos, Messiaen L'Ascension - four symphonic meditations, Hindemith - Sinfonía Matías El Pintor
- 26 The Gabrielli Consort Paul McCreesh Director
- "Ave Maris Stella" Music in honor of the Virgin from the 13th century to the present - works by Palestrina, Leighton, Rubra, Victoria, Plainsong, McMillan & Britten
- 27 Orchestra Maggio Musicale Fiorentino Ingo Metzmacher Conductor; Thomas Hampson Baríitone - Mahler Rückert Lieder; Schubert 9th Symphony
- 28 Orquesta Filarmonica del Gran Canaria Karel Mark Chichon Conductor; Elīna Garanča Mezzo soprano - Wagner - Rienzi overture, Wesendonck leider; Mahler - 1st Symphony "Titan"
The ten night stay includes all of the above concerts, if you chose to stay seven nights the first four concerts are included.
Flights are available from Manchester, Birmingham, Gatwick, Edinburgh and other regional airports.
From Manchester Easyjet
Friday 20th January Manchester Terminal 1 – Tenerife 1300 – 1720 (no time change)
For guests staying seven nights
Friday 27th January Tenerife – Manchester Terminal 1 1220 – 1705
For guests staying ten nights
Monday 30th January Tenerife – Manchester Terminal 1 1250 – 1735
If you prefer to make your own flight arrangements and meet at the hotel you can deduct £250 from the tour cost.
Full payment due at time of booking.