There is nowhere quite like Vienna during Advent. The Christmas markets are full of life, the atmosphere in the streets is festive in a way that doesn't exist in most other capital cities and the concerts & operetta season is in full swing. Vienna’s prettiest squares transform into magical Christmas markets with the aroma of hot punch and Christmas biscuits creating a wonderful atmosphere. Get your Christmas off to an early start and join us for six nights in this wonderful city.
We stay at the 4* Hotel am Konzerthaus just one block from the famous 'Ringstrasse' and five minutes walk to either the Konzerthaus or the Musikverein and less than ten minutes walk from the Wiener Staatsoper (State Opera). The hotel style is inspired by the art nouveau era represented by works of art and sketches by influential Viennese artists. Each room of this hotel has been given a touch of Gustav Klimt, whilst ensuring 21st century comforts with double or twin beds. All rooms have tea & coffee making facilities, safe, flat-screen TV, minibar and a selection of C.O.Bigelow toiletries in the bathroom. The hotel bar pays homage to the Orient Express while in 'Oskars' restaurant you can enjoy breakfast (included) each morning until 10.30am. Oskars is also open for lunch and dinner each day.
The historic 'Ringstrasse' was laid out on the line of the old city walls in the mid to late 19th century. The 'Ring' echos the days of the Habsburg Empire and is home to almost all of the important buildings of the city including the Austrian Parliament, the Vienna Rathaus (Town Hall), the Staatsoper, the Burgtheater, Natural History Museum and the magnificent Hofburg Palace. It encircles the historic heart of 'Old Vienna' where many of the streets and squares are pedestrianised and St Stephens Cathedral marks the centrepoint.
Perhaps the most important Christmas Market of the city is created in the 'Rathausplatz' in front of the Town Hall. This becomes a shining fairytale land with around 150 stalls offering Christmas gifts, Christmas tree decorations, sweets and gluhwein! The trees of the surrounding Rathauspark are festively decorated and radiate in a sea of lights.
During your stay we have included:
- Welcome dinner with wines at an historic wienstube in the heart of the city
- two pre-performance suppers
- ‘Café & kuchen’ at a traditional Viennese café
- Farewell dinner in a traditional heuriger in Heilingenstadt
- a performance at the Vienna State Opera *
a performance at the Volksoper *
- tickets for a concert in the Art Nouveau Konzerthaus *
- access to a rehearsal of the legendary Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra in the magnificent Goldensaal of the Musikverein (home of the New Year's Day concert) *
- A full programme of sightseeing visiting the Christmas Markets at the Rathausplatz, Schoenbrunn and the Belvedere Palace
* The 2017 concert & opera programme will be available in early April 2017
Flights are with Austrian Airlines from Manchester and provisional times are follows:
Monday 11 December Manchester – Vienna 1300 – 1635 OS 464
Sunday 17 December Vienna – Manchester 1255 – 1435 OS 463
Flights are also available from Heathrow & Gatwick (other airports on request basis).